In 2014 I featured a series of blog posts introducing you to 2,014 names. For the most part they were names that were brand new to me as well. Some names may be more familiar but I found the meaning or origin or some other aspect of the name made it worthy of inclusion here. You may love some of the names, you may hate some, but hopefully you enjoy learning about all of them.

Thursday, September 24, 2015

Like the lady who fed Elijah

my store of never-before-seen-nor-heard names never runs out


GIRLS


Dorka - I think it is probably a nickname for Dorcas or a misspelling or wrongly transcribed (not looking at the original record)

Kimbra - perhaps this is a modern invention based on names like Kimberley and Cambria.

Louirinda - I'm trying to guess at how to pronounce this! "loo ee rin dah" or "loo rin dah" or "lah rin dah" or "lur ine dah". Got any suggestions?

Tempy - It seems like it should be a nickname for Temperance. Kind of cute, huh?

Veneda - Not sure if this is an invented name or bonafide. I want to say it 'vuh nay dah' or maybe it's 'vuh nee duh'. But it might be misspelled. "van uh duh"?



BOYS


Clabote - ideas on what this might actually be and how it's said? I want to say it's Clampitt, like the hillbilly in the Beverly Hillbillies tv show. But, I haven't researched it yet.

Gold

Goldson

Henderson

Isham

Leis - maybe just missing a w, like an abbreviation for Lewis?

Nelson - Yes, I suppose this isn't SO new as a first name. But it is still fairly unusual I think, to name a kid this.

No comments:

Post a Comment