In 2014 I featured a series of blog posts introducing you to 2,014 names. For the most part they were names that were brand new to me as well. Some names may be more familiar but I found the meaning or origin or some other aspect of the name made it worthy of inclusion here. You may love some of the names, you may hate some, but hopefully you enjoy learning about all of them.

Wednesday, January 28, 2015

Miss Marietta Lockhart

Looking for someone in a painting for us to name I came across this painting entitled Miss Marietta Lockhart. I thought I would give Miss Marietta a middle name and an alternative as well. It's a nice painting, such a beautiful shade of blue! She has a nice aspect as well. Marietta Dorcas would be good, back in a time when names like Dorcas could be appreciated. It wouldn't go over so well now though. Maybe Marietta Bess. Yes I like that a lot. I could picture her with siblings: Ann, Lydia, Nora, Joseph, Albert, and Edgar.

4 comments:

  1. Researching family ancestry, my great-great maternal grandmother lived in Pennsylvania. Her married name: Marietta Cayota Lockhart. Just wondering the likelihood this painting is from the 1800s and American.

    ReplyDelete
  2. edit: "great-great great maternal grandmother"

    ReplyDelete
  3. edit: "great-great great maternal grandmother"

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Steve! Sorry I wasn't quicker to see your comment. This painting is by George Frederic Watts and it was painted in 1845. He was 28 when he painted this and it was done in Florence, Italy. It is a work which the artist often used to demonstrate certain of his techniques to students. The time is right for your ancestor. Do you know if she was born in America? Of course, even if she was born here in the states she could have traveled to Italy for any of a number of reasons. Can you tell me anything more about your ancestor? Her middle name is quite fascinating. What part of Pennsylvania did she live in? My Lockharts lived in Pennsylvania, though of course there were various Lockhart families in PA especially by the time of your grandmother. If this is indeed her, I would be so grateful for you to share what information you can here on this post. I will edit it with that. Do you know if Cayota was a family name? It seems like it could have been Native American. The other side of my family lived in Ohio for a while, a place called Cuyahoga. Sometimes names get shortened, or maybe they are from the same American language? I am extremely curious!! Isn't the lady in the painting lovely? She looks young here. Described as miss she would not have been married at this time. Do you know how old your ancestor was in 1845?

    ReplyDelete