In 2014 I featured a series of blog posts introducing you to 2,014 names. For the most part they were names that were brand new to me as well. Some names may be more familiar but I found the meaning or origin or some other aspect of the name made it worthy of inclusion here. You may love some of the names, you may hate some, but hopefully you enjoy learning about all of them.

Thursday, April 24, 2014

A Breath of Fresh Names

I have only met one person with any of these names. I probably could come up with Florabell and Guillermino on my own, but I honestly would never have dreamed of the others. Do you know anyone with any of these names?




GIRLS

Yekaterina

Zepheretta - so far I've seen that Zephyretta was in the Rape of the Lock by Alexander Pope and would come from the Greek "zephyr", etta making it "little zephyr" and feminizing the name. The zephyr is the soft or mild west wind. Zephyrus was a son of Astraeus and Eos (dawn) in Greek mythology, and dwelt in a palace in Thrace.

Edana - according to behindthename.com, a Latinized form of the Irish name Etain, which derives from "et" meaning "jealousy".

Florabell



BOYS

Guillermino

Jasiel - Hebrew, meaning "made by God". I encountered this on a Hispanic boy, so his name was pronounced "hah see EL".


Kiedrich - possibly a form of Keidrych or Ceidrych.

No comments:

Post a Comment