In 2014 I featured a series of blog posts introducing you to 2,014 names. For the most part they were names that were brand new to me as well. Some names may be more familiar but I found the meaning or origin or some other aspect of the name made it worthy of inclusion here. You may love some of the names, you may hate some, but hopefully you enjoy learning about all of them.

Saturday, March 8, 2014

1541 Names

That's how many are left to learn in 2014 (after today's bunch).

GIRLS

Ardith- Curiously, I found a pronunciation for this name I have not encountered before. I know the name as 'AR dith' but two websites suggested that this is a Hebrew name, meaning 'blooming field' or 'blooming meadow' and is pronounced 'ar DIS'. Where does that s pronunciation come from? The one site could have gotten the meaning from the other (this seems to happen frequently) or they could have both gotten it from the same source elsewhere.

Behind the Name presents Ardith as a Hebrew name meaning 'blooming field' possibly related to the Akkadian 'ardatu' meaning 'maiden'. Most websites I found listed the pronunciation that I was more familiar with  (AR dith).



According to Bible Hub there is a field called Ardat where Ezra communed with God.

I wanted to add a few comments of my own about this name. To me Ardith represents all of the virtues of the name Astrid, is even fairly similar in appearance and sound, with none of the faults. Astrid's main fault being that it begins with the sound 'ass' at the beginning, which is unfortunate in this day and age. It does have a quirky artsy feel to it. Ardith definitely has an 'older' feel, but I find it appealing. Though, I love the name Edith, so maybe that's why. It's like Arden, without being used as much (Arden isn't used a ton, but it would seem it is used more than Ardith). It was actually in the top 1000 names in the first part of the 20th century, though it never ranked very high. So it's never been exactly 'popular'. It has a nice meaning and an ancient origin. It has 'substance'. Also, when googling the name the people it brought up were often associated with art or academia or were doctors, lawyers, dentists, etc. Neurologists, even. So it does have an air of intelligence and even wisdom. I have yet to find something I 'dislike' about the name.

I was trying to remember the other 'old lady' name it reminded me of. Not Edras. Not Fallon (not really old lady, just, less used). But Afton!! Though Afton seems perhaps like Ardith's aunt - it does 'seem' older than Ardith. I would be tickled pink to encounter Ardith on a baby. There WAS a picture of a baby Afton at my doctor's office. So, if your granny or your granny's granny was named Ardith (or Afton), let me give you my stamp of approval to use it on your baby!

Brianda - I've encountered this as a Spanish personal name, it would seem to derive from the Celtic Brian. I have also discovered that there is a river of this name.

Cabrena - I haven't found a language of origin for this as it is used as a first name for girls. It is used in Spanish as a surname and as a place name.

BOYS

Deodote -I thought at first that this was Greek, but perhaps it is French.



Elnathan - Hebrew, meaning "God gave".






Fenlon - Celtic, from Fionnghallan, comes from Fionnghall, meaning "Norseman" or "fair foreigner". This name (Fionnghall) was used as the title for the King of the Isle of Man.


Gurdon- French, a surname indicating someone is from Gourdon (in France), and derived from the French for "a deep pool" or "fishpond", according to Henry Harrison in his book Surnames of the United Kingdom: A Concise Etymological Dictionary. It derives, ultimately, from the Latin word for a
gourd.

St. Peter's Church in the town of Gourdon, France

No comments:

Post a Comment