In 2014 I featured a series of blog posts introducing you to 2,014 names. For the most part they were names that were brand new to me as well. Some names may be more familiar but I found the meaning or origin or some other aspect of the name made it worthy of inclusion here. You may love some of the names, you may hate some, but hopefully you enjoy learning about all of them.

Monday, March 17, 2014

1 Name for Thursday and Friday's 7

 I got behind! And I'll still be behind after this post, but not more than I am right now!


GIRLS

Afrodille - French for daffodil, meaning "showy and vivid".



Charrea - I had a roommate with this name. The story behind it is that her parents smooshed their names together. I forget their names, maybe Charles and Rhea, I'm not sure. It's pronounced 'sha ree uh'. I think it's pretty.

Ellafair - So far I can only speculate as to origin.

Giosetta -nickname for Giuseppa, a feminine form of the Italian name Giuseppe, which comes from the Hebrew Yosef, meaning "he will add". It is akin to the name Josette, which is a nickname for the name Josephine, the French feminine form of Joseph.


Hasseltine-

BOYS

bucardo mountain goat
Bucardo - Spanish, from the Aragonese word 'buco' meaning 'goat'. The bucardo is an extinct specie of goat. Bucardum is also the name of an old town in Spain, as the Romans called it.

Dacian - meaning 'someone from Dacia', which was an ancient people that lived in Romania before it was conquered by Rome. Dacia could have originated in various ways, which Wikipedia nicely puts together here. Given the wolf symbol above and that Dacians referred to themselves as wolves, I like the idea that their name derives from the wolf god they worshipped.

Ferriston - A place name from England, Ferriston means, basically 'rock town'. Ton or town, from English and ferris, from a Gaelic word meaning 'rock'.

No comments:

Post a Comment