In 2014 I featured a series of blog posts introducing you to 2,014 names. For the most part they were names that were brand new to me as well. Some names may be more familiar but I found the meaning or origin or some other aspect of the name made it worthy of inclusion here. You may love some of the names, you may hate some, but hopefully you enjoy learning about all of them.

Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Build Your Name Knowledge!

So far I have introduced you to 105 new names in the year 2014. We have 1,909 names left to go. We will do 7 more today, which means you will have learned about 112 new names this year. And then we only need to learn 1,902 new names.

Girls

Bruna - You've heard of Bruno and Brunhild before, but did you know that Bruna was a name? Kudos to you, I did not. It is simply a feminine form of Bruno, which comes from the Germanic word 'brun' meaning 'brown' (as the word brunette would suggest also).

Cunigunde - German, from 'kuni' meaning "clan" or "family" and "gunda" meaning "war". Cunigunda is a variant of this name.

Décima - Latin, meaning "tenth", the 'décima' is also a type of poetry used in comedias from Spain's Golden Age and this is what I think of when I see this name. Decima is also one of the Fates, a goddess of childbirth who measures the thread of life with her rod.


Boys

Eubous - Latin, meaning "rich in cattle". Strabo uses the name Eubaea or Eubous to describe a land "rich in cattle" and that is where I got this meaning of the name. It makes sense, since bovine refers to cows.

Faldorat - French, unfortunately, I can't tell you more than that. When I come across something I'll post it.

Gallien- French, from the name Gallienus, a Roman emperor, and so it means something like 'of or like Gallienus'. It might also be used to simply say someone is Gaulish, the ancient name for France (or at least part of what is modern France).

Halen - possible meanings I came across are Dutch, meaning "to reach" or "to catch" or "to get", Spanish meaning "pull" and Galician meaning "pull", or Welsh meaning "salt".

No comments:

Post a Comment