In 2014 I featured a series of blog posts introducing you to 2,014 names. For the most part they were names that were brand new to me as well. Some names may be more familiar but I found the meaning or origin or some other aspect of the name made it worthy of inclusion here. You may love some of the names, you may hate some, but hopefully you enjoy learning about all of them.

Tuesday, July 17, 2012

9

I don't usually do a post on movies, but I thought this warranted it. 9 is an animated movie (cgi animation I suppose) about an apocalypse that destroys humanity and all that's left are the creations of a scientist, little dolls that can think and talk and move, and machines that were created using his intellect that are capable of creating more machines. It's a classic tale of good (the dolls) versus evil (the metallic machines). It's very well done. The story is solid and it's beautiful to look at. In the special feature afterward they had considered making it silent (no talking) for the whole movie and not just the first little while. I think it would have been more powerful that way, but I understand that commercially some people would not have responded. Although, Wall-e was relatively silent and very successful (and a somewhat similar story in that machines seem to be the hope of the world and all that's left on a barren planet, find each other, their struggle to help each other, etc). 9 has a different feel, it's much darker and scarier. While I think you could watch Wall-E with a 4 or 5 year old I would not necessarily watch 9 with such young children. Though I think a 7 year old should be fine, there are some rather scary moments even for a 7 year old. 9 or 10 year olds for sure though. But it's very enjoyable for a teenager or an adult, I think. The music is quite incredible also (partly why you could have made the show silent, but also, it just would have been more haunting and to some extent, even though there's not tons of talking, it's almost a distraction, I think.) But I give this 2 thumbs up for sure. And for some people 9 would be a 5 star movie I think. It was at least a 4 star movie for me. Wall-E had a more powerful impact on my soul, I think, which is what made it 5 stars for me. This one comes very close.

No comments:

Post a Comment